Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Visual Studio 2010 Maint: Path to installation not available.

This error seems to bite a lot of devs.  I have a box with full SQL 2008 and VS 2010 installed.  Each time I tried to add in a new feature to the existing install it fails.  I dug around the temp dir and looked at the log.

In Error log:

VS70pgui: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : Unable to retrieve the install directory for Microsoft Visual Studio Performance Collection Tools for v4.0 in COptionsPage::IsGoodAllComponenentsPath


Not sure what was causing this until I stumbled upon this post http://edeevans.wordpress.com/category/development-tipstricks/

Problem:
I believe this may be due to having installed SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition which uses a stand-alone install of Visual Studio 2010. I say this because while solving the issue by uninstalling SP1, I was prompted for the MSI for vs_setup.msi. I was puzzled by this until I looked closer at the prompt which mentioned Stand Alone and that jogged my memory of the SQL install. The SQL Management Studio will use a stand-alone install of the previous version of Visual Studio. So SQL 2010 uses Visual Studio 2008 and SQL 2012 uses Visual Studio 2010. At any rate, I had to mount the ISO for SQL Server 2012 and point it at the proper location to complete the uninstall of SP1.

Solution:
Remove SP 1 since I can't remove SQL Server.  This resolved the issue.  Then I reapplied SP1.

No comments:

Post a Comment