Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Playing with DISM

I was looking for information on DISM tool since I have not used it before.  I have put on my Sys Admin hat to build out some new development environments.  I found this great article by Brian Lewis.  He explains how to use DISM to  capture your current working drive.  This will enable me to capture my current development image and push it onto a vhd for use by our staff.  Brian is using a usb stick to capture the image. 

Here are the steps that I use:
  1. Boot off of a Windows 8/10 install USB stick (See my post on how to create a USB install stick)
  2. At the install Screen hit <shift> <F10> to start a CMD prompt window
  3. To Capture the C: Drive to an external USB drive
    1. Dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:d:\my-image.wim /CaptureDir:c:\ /Name:”My Image”
  4. To Restore this Image from the external USB drive
    1. Dism /apply-image /imagefile:d:\my-image.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:c:\

 Source:

http://mythoughtsonit.com/2013/02/dism-exe-replaces-imagex-exe/

No comments:

Post a Comment